[Nottingham] Shellshock

david at gbenet.com david at gbenet.com
Sat Sep 27 08:03:18 UTC 2014

On 27/09/14 01:28, Martin wrote:
> On 27/09/14 00:50, Going It Alone wrote:
>> What implications does this have on routers?
>
> For most of them, none, as they will most likely be running Busybox
> which is not bash.
>

> If however you have a "high end super" router of some sort, it is  worth
> checking what it is that gives you a command prompt!...
>

> Regardless, so far this little snafu looks to be generating more 'good'
> publicity for Linux than bad. Who in the general public could have
> guessed such an unknown name was so significant?!...
>
> That old game of all and any news is good publicity?
>

> For myself, various systems here were easily and quickly updated. In any
> case, most likely bash isn't exposed to the outside world.
>
> The real danger is likely more for those mostly commercial systems left
> abandoned unmaintained and forgotten until they fail...
>

> Cheers,
> Martin

My web site was off line for a couple of hours yesterday - I guess they were applying a fix.
Bash has been round a long time - I can understand people wanting to bring anything that
runs a Microsoft O/S to a complete stop - and why not - but Linux - why do that?

As you say the publicity that it's brought Linux is all to the "good" when I talk to my
friends - they know nothing about their O/S (Microsoft) and know nothing about an
alternative. I can't imagine a scenario where people would leave systems unmaintained - not
hosting providers - or companies with all their commercial data. I was trying to imagine
some old 286 or 486 sitting in some dusty basement somewhere............ then click!

David

--
“See the sanity of the man! No gods, no angels, no demons, no body. Nothing of the
kind.Stern, sane,every brain-cell perfect and complete even at the moment of death. No