[Nottingham] RasPi USB Storage

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 22:28:50 UTC 2015

On 2 April 2015 at 11:32, Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk> wrote:

> Why oh why do we STILL have the symbol of a now very old FLOPPY DISK as
> the 'save' symbol?

By now it's simple convention. Wouldn't matter if it was a purple banana,
it's just a standard symbol one knows means "Save". In a few years it's be
fluffy clouds and the kids will wonder what "storage media" and "back-up"
mean.

Anyhoo - in the end I went with a 128GB VerbatimSSD. Probably overkill, but
not that much more expensive than USB Flash equivalents.
A bit of fiddling and OpenElce now boots off the SSD (well, technically it
begins to boot off the SD which then re-directs to the SSD).
Might be wishful thinking, but does seem a bit faster. Certainly file
operations complete in close to no time.

Really should find out how to do a wee read/write test of it when connected
to the RasPi and then to another device via USB 2.0 (then maybe USB 3.0 for
yucks).
Hmm...should also confirm for certain that the partitions on the SSD are
correctly aligned and diddle them if not.
Then we enter the eternal angst of "When this tool says '256MB' does it
really mean 'MB' or 'MiB' or something else?"

J.