[Nottingham] Facebook now supports PGP

david at gbenet.com david at gbenet.com
Fri Dec 4 13:34:25 UTC 2015

On 04/12/15 09:10, Mike Cardwell wrote:
> * on the Fri, Dec 04, 2015 at 02:51:12AM +0000, david at gbenet.com wrote:
>
>> Facebook now supports public key encryption - but only to send you info - but it is a start!
>>
>> http://techcrunch.com/2015/06/01/facebook-now-supports-pgp-to-send-you-encrypted-emails/
>
> I've been using it for the last few months. It works pretty well. They seem to
> have considered their implementation properly. My subkeys expire once a year
> and just before that happens I extend the expiry date on them and push the new
> sigs up to the keyservers. Facebook doesn't check the keyservers, it just uses
> the key/sigs that you upload. When my subkeys expired, they just sent me an email
> saying that they were going to send me an encrypted email but couldn't because
> of a problem with my key. I uploaded the one with the new sigs and that fixed it.
> Would be nice if they joined the main keyserver pool and automatically applied
> new signatures.

Mike,

I was a bit dubious - Facebook - Google - but we are post Snowden now. Perhaps all these
US-based Companies are reflecting on the fact that security Agencies NSA and GCHQ are quite
happy to spy on their networks and put software in place that makes it much easier to spy on
all of us.

If they joined in the key server network that would be good. Supporting encrypted content in
messages between users would be good. How far will they go? I suspect it depends on how many
of their users upload their public keys.

Cryptology - at least public key encryption is a political choice. You either don't care
that the NSA or GCHQ read hear everything you write or say - or you do care. Most people
really don't care. Human Rights - Justice non-invasion of one's privacy is not on most
people's agenda's

I think that Facebook will be watching their servers much more closely. For those of us that
have a Facebook account - who have public keys - we should all put our keys up there - may
be Facebook will think about the publics right of non-invasion and privacy.

David

--
“See the sanity of the man! No gods, no angels, no demons, no body. Nothing of the
kind.Stern, sane,every brain-cell perfect and complete even at the moment of death. No