[Nottingham] Could not update .ICEauthority file

stripes theotoky stripes.theotoky at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 11 12:40:47 UTC 2015

Has anyone seen this error on Ubuntu 12.04?

I have already done all the usual things.

ls -al
which shows .ICEauthority is owned by me and has rw permissions. I reset it
anyway.

chown me:me .ICEauthority
chmod 600 .ICEauthority

log out and back in no change

mv .ICEauthority .ICEauthority.old

log out and back in no change

rm .ICEauthority
rm .ICEauthority.old

log out and back in change

ls -al /home

*I own the directory /home/me but change own just in case*

*sudo chown me:me /home/me*

*log out and  back in no change.*

*log into a testing account and everything works fine.*

*The only thing I can log into from the graphical interface is the Recovery
Console*

*From testing I can log onto Gnome, Gnome no effects, Unity, Unity 3D and
recovery console just fine.*

*Neither the drive nor the home directory are encrypted so it shouldn't be
an ecrypts problem.*

*Any ideas? The box was working just fine connected to a hotel wifi
lastnight and won't work on the home wifi this morning. As far as I know
the only thing to change in the last 12 hours was downloading  few meg of
scans from my home server.*

*Stripes*