[Nottingham] How to capture text from a Javascript generated web browser panel display?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Feb 16 19:17:11 UTC 2015

On 16/02/15 19:04, Martin wrote:
> On 16/02/15 18:46, Paul Sladen wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 Feb 2015, Martin wrote:
>>> And I'm finally there except the "....." operators have done a
>>> cut'n'paste into their ticket system that then displays the data in a
>>> javascript web panel.
>>
>>   Step 2. Right-Click->Inspect element with Firebug.
>>
>> 	-Paul
>>

>> Step 1.: Install Firebug.  ;-)
>
> Step 1 done, easy.
>
> Step 2: And all you get is the code but no useful displayed content.
>

> However... With Firebug installed, a right-click now offers such as
> "save as" and although "web page complete" only saves the .js and css
> files (still no content), using "save as txt" at least pulls out all the
> ticket text :-)
>

> What a way!
>
> Thanks for the work-around hints,

Or thanks for prompting for trying a few extra clicks...

Rechecking but with Firebug disabled: A right click with the element
highlighted still shows the Firefox browser option "save as" available.

Hence the trick is to save as txt rather than as html or 'complete'.

Still, good to know about Firebug!

Thanks,

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg