[Nottingham] How to capture text from a Javascript generated web browser panel display?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Feb 17 11:22:46 UTC 2015

On 17/02/15 09:16, Mike Cardwell wrote:
> * on the Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 08:49:55AM +0000, Jason Irwin wrote:
>
>> The trick, as you have found, is to target the correct element and as
>> Paul says, if it's on the screen it *will* be in Firebug's DOM model
>> (not sure about the default one, not really used it).
>
> The built in Firefox developer tools are now pretty mature. I recently
> uninstalled Firebug after using it for many years. It doesn't seem to
> offer anything over the standard Firefox tools anymore.

Thanks for that folks.

As stumbled across, my work-around was to do a Firefox "save-as" text
for the respective panel. That gave the full list of notes for the
particular ticket. Just had to add the title manually!

The site pops up a separate window with only a minimal window boarder.
Almost suggests they do not want you to copy anything...

And that particular ticket system is certainly 'shiny' with various
silly animations. Sort of makes it look 'play-school' styled. Quite
scary for what audience the styling suggests is being targeted...

What happened to the days of only ever using knowledgeable reliable
no-nonsense sys admins?...

Thanks,

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg