[Nottingham] Group-sourced presentation! (OS/Systems Market Share of the 'Cloud', internet, and IT in general)

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 14:37:43 UTC 2015

Executive summary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyfbRz4ObFY&t=12s

> Very good point that is being turned strangely at the moment.
So transitioning to Windows presents a major risk to service provision
and business continuity. Other than a fuzzy-feeling, what benefits (if
any) does Windows bring? At what cost? How many man-days/months/years
will it take to move historic data to a format that Windows can handle?

Also, if they are going virtual it matters even less what the host OS
is. And once virtual, why in the name of shuddering hell do you want to
run an entire Windows server when you can run some GNU/Linux thing with
the bare-minimum needed to get the job done and thus fit more instances
on to the same physical hardware? They are a few caveats with that
though (see below).

> We've got the 'big stuff' all running Linux for the great majority of
> people and that has been stable and reliable for years.
So there problem is...what?

> We now have a very small new group that only know Windows and are
> screaming for big changes throughout so that they can feel reassured
> that everything, absolutely everything, is definitely Microsoft-only...
Client-side they may have a point, even just from a training/familiarity
point of view as Windows owns the desktop.
And the problem with Windows client-side is that it ties you into at
least some Windows servers for management of them.

> Unfortunately, with the power of Marketing and branding, this is very
> difficult to avoid parallels to various religions...
If it isn't broke, why are they trying to fix it?

--
║ Jason Irwin ║ OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xD0C592B1 ║