[Nottingham] Problem installing Linux on Acer Aspire E15

Barry Drake ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com
Fri Mar 13 10:00:13 UTC 2015

On 13/03/15 09:32, Godfrey Nix wrote:

> But now, when I reboot machine it reports a faulty disk and goes into
> automatic disk repair - this is Windows 8!!!>
> Maybe I should just wipe disk entirely and forget about dual boot.

Oh yes!  That's Windows normal behaviour!  If you really want dual boot,
the only way seems to be to install Linux first, and then install
Windows to a separate NTFS partition.  Windows recognises ext*
partitions, but refuses to interact with them; thus, they are part of a
'faulty disk' which the user has to format.  That's why I run Windows
(7) on a separate (pluggable) hard drive (usually less than once a year!)

Thanks for reminding me of another reason why I never want to use a
Microsoft product again!  My son bought me a copy of Jonathan Zittrain's
'The Future of the Internet' for my birthday.  It ought to be required
reading for every computer user everywhere.  I'm sure you folk have all
read it - I hadn't.  If you don't know the book, you can get it for free
as a PDF from www.jz.org so I now have it on my ebook reader.

Regards,		Barry.
--
http://barrydrake.co.nr/