[Nottingham] Dealing with a router that does not support Port Forwarding

Mike Cardwell nlug at lists.grepular.com
Mon May 18 08:30:47 UTC 2015

* on the Mon, May 18, 2015 at 09:18:31AM +0100, Jason Irwin wrote:

>> If you run this from your Pi:
>>    ssh -R 12345:127.0.0.1:22 some.other.host
>
> That pretty much did it, although I had to add a few other other flags,
> from memory:
>     ssh -TfN -p 12345 54321:localhost:22 foo at bar.com &
> (No TTY, force to backround & send output to /dev/null and do not
> execute a command)
>
> Once I had the ssh server on "bar.com" set to allow "GatewayPorts" it
> worked really well. Much better than using Cygwin via a Jitsi call!
> Unfortunately the ssh link has died, I am not yet sure what went wrong
> as I don't have access.
>
> Other than a crontab entry to (somehow) check for the link every few
> minutes and then re-create it if it's missing, is there a better way to
> ask the ssh client to keep a link alive?

You could always wrap it in a while loop:

  while [ 1 ]; do ssh -TfN -p 12345 54321:localhost:22 foo at bar.com; done &

SSH has a "TCPKeepAlive" option. Fiddling with that might help?

--
Mike Cardwell  https://grepular.com https://emailprivacytester.com
OpenPGP Key    35BC AF1D 3AA2 1F84 3DC3   B0CF 70A5 F512 0018 461F