[Nottingham] Dealing with a router that does not support Port Forwarding

Andy Smith andy at bitfolk.com
Mon May 18 21:48:53 UTC 2015

Hello,

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 09:34:08AM +0100, Jason Irwin wrote:
> On 18/05/15 09:30, Mike Cardwell wrote:
> > SSH has a "TCPKeepAlive" option. Fiddling with that might help?
> I thought that was just some server setting...I'll play around in a few
> VMs and see what happens when I yank their networks.

I also use "autossh" so that when I unsuspend my desktop all the
terminal windows log in to where they were before. And also
re-connect to things if there is a network problem that sorts itself
out.

When I say this people often ask me, "don't you use GNU Screen (or
tmux)?" I do, but I have so many terminal sessions open that I
prefer to have one terminal window per host and run Screen on the
host. I have it automatically re-attach to Screen once logged in, so
whatever I was doing in that window before is still there.

Cheers,
Andy