[Nottingham] SSD and Linux

Barry Drake ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com
Fri Sep 11 07:26:38 UTC 2015

On 10/09/15 23:00, Albert wrote:
> Anyone got any recommendations for a SSD? I want something to slip into
> a Sapphire HD2 replacing the hard drive. I don't mind it being low
> capacity or even second hand, but it must be reliable and cool running.

Dell published a paper on SSD use some years ago.  At that time, the
recommendation was to format to ext2 (non-journalling) and if there is
enough ram, to run with no swap partition.  SSD supports a limited
number of writes over it's lifetime, and anything that can reduce the
overall number will prolong overall life.  I'm not sure about second
hand for that reason ...

Regards,		Barry.
--
http://barrydrake.co.nr/