[Nottingham] Two Entries in /etc/hosts

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 10:53:20 UTC 2016

I use my domain name and let the router worry about it, I am blessed
with a fairly static IP (although there are ways to dial with more
dynamic ones).
Can you fiddle with the router so it recognises WAN as "self"?
I just checked my ping times for local/remote IPs and didn't see much change.
Due to a bug in DD-WRT, I have had to do IP Tables shenanigans so make
things work; so that might mean I don't see the same problem.

If not, I guess you could have a wee systemd or /etc/network/if-up.d
thing to check if your IP is 192.168.x.y (or whatever other feature of
home LAN is unique), then inject the local IP or remote IP. Seems like
a kludge so me though.

I am sure someone who actually understands networking wizardry will be
along shortly...

J.