[Nottingham] Petition: Repeal the new Surveillance laws (Investigatory Powers Act)

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Dec 1 14:34:03 UTC 2016

And so it has come to pass:

'Snoopers' charter' petition hits signatures target
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38130344

Meanwhile regardless:

Snoopers' Charter: 'Draconian' IP Bill receives royal assent to become law
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2478633/snoopers-charter-draconian-ip-bill-receives-royal-assent-to-become-law

'Snooper's charter' bill becomes law, extending UK state surveillance
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/29/snoopers-charter-bill-becomes-law-extending-uk-state-surveillance

Apt comments are:

"48 organisations and departments that will be able to access the
browsing records of individuals without a warrant."

"hello [George Orwell] 1984"

"The chairman of the Internet Service Providers' Association (Ispa),
told the BBC last week that he was concerned such a database would
eventually be hacked. "You can try every conceivable thing in the
entire world to [protect it], but somebody will still outsmart you,"
he said. "Mistakes will happen. It's a question of when."

"incredibly intrusive"

"But we will always argue that you don't pass laws based on what the
government of today intends to do with those powers, but on how a very
different government of tomorrow might use those same powers to go so
much further."

And yet further already:

UK's new Snoopers' Charter just passed an encryption backdoor law by
the backdoor
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/11/30/investigatory_powers_act_backdoors/

Phew!

How did this come to pass...?

:-(
Martin

On 28/11/16 16:25, Bob Marshall via Nottingham wrote:
> Already signed, VM. This is an outrage.
>
> Bob M
>
> Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools.
>
> - Gene Brown

> Do you know which government agencies and departments get the power
> to search your internet history without a warrant? The list is
> long. Do we trust them? Or, more importantly, do we trust they can
> secure the information from people we don't trust? :)
> https://yiu.co.uk/blog/who-can-view-my-internet-history/
>
> This nonsense must be stopped before it is enforced. Please sign a
> petition at https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/173199
>
> Thank you for your attention and time. VM
>
> P.S. I watched "Snowden" last weekend and recommend it to everyone
> on this list.

- --
- - ║   Martin Lomas    ║ OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7 ║
- - ║ martin@ ml1 co uk ║ Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or ║
- - ║ ----------------- ║ http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg ║