[Nottingham] Smearing the Leap Second?… What of time in databases?...

Michael Simms lug at toomanysites.org
Tue Dec 6 17:47:50 UTC 2016

I strongly suspect that databases will simply count the same second
twice, meaning if your data is counted down to the second, you'll have
twice as much data as on other seconds.

Reason being, epoch time itself doesn't keep track of it, as far as I
know. Leap seconds are simply detected by the OS in the zone file, and
run a second time. The end of a minute in epoch time is sill divisable
by 60 before and after a leap second (I tested this once).

Michael Simms