[Nottingham] [Walk] 17th Dec - Ambergate to Crich

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 08:22:00 UTC 2016

 From just West of Ripley, we have a boring start (unless you're a
train/car spotter) and then off into what was the setting for "Cardale"
in "Peak Practice". Tram spotters might wish to take a peek at the Crich
Tramway Village with vintage trams from all over the world. We're not
using the Rambler's guide, so this time we'll know which direction to
head in (and a GPX track is available). You can see the full details for
yourself by following the main link.

There must be something wrong in Ambergate, both the Hurt Arms and White
House have closed. There is the Excavator (a Marston's) but the reviews
aren't brilliant. Over in Crich there is the White Swan, but there
appears to be loads of wee tea rooms as well. So I'll doubt we'll starve.

The book has this pegged at 3.5 hours, which is generous. Depending on
how much gawping at trams etc we do, we should all be back home before
1600 at the absolute latest (that's also allowing for the 45 min drive).

Bring sturdy boots, decent socks, waterproofs, etc. Extreme weather will
halt the walk, a wee bit of rain/wind won't.

Please let me know if you'd like to join and if you're a driver or need
transport.

Whilst I have you undivided attention, there will almost certainly be a
walk between Christmas & New year around the Beeston-ish area to burn
off some calories and then pile them back on by swinging into a few
drinking establishments/cake shops. If you'd like details of whatever it
is, whenever we do it; drop me a line.

What: Ambergate to Crich (aka Climbing up to Crich in Search of Cardale)
Distance: 12km (7.5 miles)
Ascent/Gradient: 220m (721ft)
Difficulty: Medium
Time: 3.5 hours
Deadtree: AA "50 Walks in the Peak District", walk 46 "Ambergate to
Crich", page 161.
ISBN: 978-0-7524-4639-4
Link:
http://www.theaa.com/walks/climbing-up-to-crich-in-search-of-cardale-420261
GPX:
http://outdoorsgps.com/route/show/348836_climbing-up-to-crich-in-search-of-cardale-106
Suggested App: OsmAnd (from F-Droid or Google Play)

When: December 17th 2016 starting walk @ 0930
Meet-up #1: Our place in Beeston to leave @ 0815 (contact me off-list
for address etc)
Meet-up #2: Ambergate Station @ 0900
(http://osm.org/go/eu2~HMR1N--?layers=C&m=&node=251406644)

--
║ Jason Irwin ║ OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xD0C592B1 ║