[Nottingham] Frozen Debian upgrade

stripes theotoky stripes.theotoky at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 11 11:36:59 UTC 2016

Running aptitude full-upgrade or apt-get dist-upgrade gets me to this point
and freezes for about 12 hours by which time I assume nothing is happening
and kill the process. Before killing it I check with top and the load is
virtually nothing.

I get an ncurses windown saying

Configuring libc6
Kernel version not supported
 need to be restarted....
This version of the GNU libc requires kernel version 3.2 or later.
Older versions might work but are not officially supported. Please consider
upgrading your kernel.

Ok

Click on OK as part of the upgrade is to bring in a newer kernel anyway and
I get.

Checking for services that may need to be restarted..
Checking init scripts...

there it hangs presumably forever at least for 12 hours..

Just now it threw the following error

[6477417.633822] systemd-logind[8642]: Failed to enable subscription:
Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1

[6477417.633822] systemd-logind[8642]: Failed to fully start up daemon:
Input/output error

Partway through this upgrade I lost the ability to click anything with the
mouse, can still run it around the screen and it wakes up the screen saver
but can't click anything.

I can connect to the box just fine with ssh.

All suggestions welcome.

Stripes