[Nottingham] Free Libre encrypted connections (https) ?

Martin Garton martin at stupids.org
Wed Jan 20 12:52:33 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 11:14:12AM +0000, Martin wrote:

> Rather than submit to the hegemony of the non-free closed (not always
> trustworthy) club of "certificate authorities", what freedom options do
> we have for encryptedly working with the main group of web browsers?

https://letsencrypt.org/

They provide free of charge certificates using an open protocol (https://github.com/ietf-wg-acme/acme/).

Since launch, this quickly become one of the most used CAs in the world.

For a hassle-free modern http server that does all of the work for you, I really recommend https://caddyserver.com/ which will get and install your cert for you.

I had a server running in less than 5 mins with well configured TLS working fine (not to mention http2 support and much, much more that caddy offers)

--
Martin.