[Nottingham] Is it time to save the Internet in Europe?

Godfrey Nix godfrey at gnnix.co.uk
Fri Jul 15 06:50:58 UTC 2016

Hello Bob,

I believe the tide IS turning.

It was Mohandas (Mahatma) Gandhi who said that the only thing needed for
evil to triumph was for good men to do nothing.

Through the internet, such organisations as SumOfUs, Avaaz, 38Degrees
and others are mobilising the 'common people' and holding mega
corporations to account. See recent actions on the Climate Conferences,
Monsanto's Roundup weedkiller (called 'probably' carcinogenic), TTIP
negotiations, and so on.

Even the latest referendum, which ever side you voted, shows a
disconnect between politicians and the public - which they are now
trying to deal with. It will be interesting to see how it all goes - and
very much having an impact on all our lives for years to come.

What we need above everything else is a well informed population, up to
date on what is happening in the world - not blinkered and complacent,
leaving everything to somebody else. We do not want and must not let
ourselves be manipulated by the press. This is where the internet comes
in - a means of contacting others, finding out (Google AND others - do
not be led to assume Google is unbiassed). Also meet and chat with other
people (in a bar or cafe, club (our Linux group, etc.) and on the phone
to family and friends.

Isolated we are easily manipulated and led. Working together, learning,
helping and sharing with each other we can and we will build a better
future for ourselves and our children. Do not be downhearted. The
immediate future may look bleak and uncertain, but I am convinced that
the human spirit will win over these temporary troubles.

Godfrey