[Nottingham] [Walk] Saturday March 19th - Across Stanton Moor (with Stone Circle)

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 10:56:16 UTC 2016

Apologies for fairly short notice, what with one thing and another this
got delayed.

Stanton Moor is a small and distinctive up-thrust of gritstone amid the
limestone dales of the White Peak. It's moorland in miniature, where
heather and silver birch provides a marked contrast to the rolling
pasture and undulating river valleys all around. To the east it looks
down on to the Derwent Valley and Matlock, while to the west there are
panoramic views across to Bakewell and the valley of the River Wye.

There has been human activity on Stanton Moor for thousands of years.
The whole of the moor is a Scheduled Ancient Monument, dotted with
dozens of ancient cairns, barrows and tumuli e.g. Doll Tor Stone Circle
(http://osm.org/go/eu3jZOR~?node=303571498), although much of it is
hidden by heather, gorse and bilberry.

Starting out from the Birchover
(http://osm.org/go/eu3jYWjJZ--?way=61893784), going past the Nine Ladies
Stone Circle (http://osm.org/go/eu3je2bL1-?way=95697435), Earl Grey
Tower (http://osm.org/go/eu3je2bLV-?way=95780516), past a few farms and
then swinging around Bradley Rocks
(http://osm.org/go/eu3jSnY8?node=1337672765) before stopping off at the
Druid Inn (http://www.druidinnbirchover.co.uk) which seems to have great
food and decent beers; perfect for the end of the walk.

This is a shorter walk at just 3 hours and we raced through the last one
no trouble. The walk can be extended to the Hermit's Cave, which is in
Cratcliff Wood (http://osm.org/go/eu3jSZhB?way=157633042) or any other
point of interest that takes our fancy.

Start time is a bit nebulous at the moment as there might be folks
travelling, but 1000 is a reasonable guess

Allowing 3 hours for the walk, hour there, hour back. Hour or so for
scran; so 6 hours all-in. If we start at 1000, should all be home by
1600-1700 depending on what distracts us and how long we masticate for.

Bring sturdy boots, decent socks, waterproofs, snacks etc. Bad weather
will halt the walk, a wee bit of rain/wind won't.

Please let me know if you'd like to join and if you're a driver or need
transport.

What: Across Stanton Moor
Distance: 6.4km (4 miles)
Ascent/Gradient: 165m (540ft)
Difficulty: Easy-Medium
Time: 3 hours
Deadtree: AA "50 Walks in the Peak District", walk 22 "Across Stanton
Moor", page 81. ISBN: 978-0-7524-4639-4
Link:
http://outdoorsgps.com/route/show/380625_scared-worship-on-stanton-moor-68-1
(The text is similar to the book, but formatting sucks)

When: Saturday March 19th 2016 starting walk @ TBC, possibly 1000.
Meet-up #1: Our place in Beeston to leave @ TBC-1 hour (contact me
off-list for address etc)
Meet-up #2: Birchover, Derbyshire, DE4 2BL (or close-by if we can't use
their car park)

--
║ Jason Irwin ║ OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xD0C592B1 ║