[Nottingham] New mobile phone (Re: [Not Linux] Minor rant & picking a new provider)

Neal Ponton neal at tutamail.com
Wed May 11 18:12:43 UTC 2016

It is a daft idea to have the only part of the device that WILL be physically
damaged by normal use rendered permanent*. Or perhaps a bit of built-in
obsolescence is at play here? ;-/
However, if you like a particular model and have a look at some
deconstruction videos or guides there are some models that are easy to take
apart with a small torx screwdriver. I'm using a Nexus 5 and it's apparently
one of the tinkerer friendly phones. Which is just as well because it's also
a fixed battery design.
Presumably by the time the battery starts performing poorly the phone will be
at least two years old and the cost of botching something up will be far less
an issue.

The Nexus 5 is great for a 2014 phone,  BTW, but the standard version of
Android M is rather buggy wrt battery drain. The custom firmware I'm using is
very good (Chroma ROM, can be found at xda developers forum). Not bad for
£120 ;-)
*possibly the hard volume keys and power switch, too, if you're the
ham-fisted type.
Neal.
--
Securely sent with Tutanota. Claim your encrypted mailbox today!
https://tutanota.com

11. May 2016 16:22 by nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk: