[Nottingham] The arguments with WiFi continue

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon May 16 09:35:58 UTC 2016

Re:

> Finally, do you have any knowledge of your neighbours' electronics at
> all? Those power socket range extenders are a nightmare for RFI. If
> something of theirs is getting into their AC circuits you could be
> hosed until chokes are fitted etc.

I'll agree with that unfortunate note... WiFi uses an elaborate radio
transceiver. Some of those mains devices could mean complete
obliteration for anything nearby for radio if you have an unfortunate
combination of mains network device/adapter and mains wiring acting as
an unfortunately good aerial...

(The damnable things should be banned, along with the hopelessly
outdated old-telephone-wires equivalent called ADSL... :-( )

However, my first bet is still with the MIMO operation and then possible
channels clash with neighbours.

Note also that it only takes one device from your neighbour on 802.11b
to bring all your devices down to that speed for sharing that WiFi space...

Good luck!

--
- ║   Martin Lomas    ║ OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7 ║