[Nottingham] Linux VM performance

Luke contact at lukespear.co.uk
Wed May 18 11:05:21 UTC 2016

>    It sounds like an interesting experiment. How productive is it possible to
>    be using the terminal?

I use the terminal (and i3 tiling wm) for email between 5 accounts via
mutt, to-do list/calendar via vim, RSS via newsbeuter, IRC via irssi and IM
via Finch. All notes are in vim, markdown etc. with Pandoc if required.

On the GUI side I still need a PDF reader, prefer Thunar to Midnight
Commander/plain CLI file managing, run Chromium for browsing
(occasionally dipping into bouts of w3m use, but running a business...
that's not always practical). Finally I run Win7 in a VM for one
specific business tool, which I deeply resent having to do :) Oh and
sometimes MS Office needs loading for certain files, again
unfortunately. If I ever manage to get my business where it needs to be,
i.e. not handling all these files, then I'll be happy camper.

I'm as productive as ever, really. It's only an interface after all. I
just shave off the odd second here and there from certain operations.
It's just nice to have very little bloat, I suppose.

Is that the kind of thing you were talking about, minus the terminal
switching?