[Nottingham] Text terminal working (Re: Linux VM performance)

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed May 18 12:15:14 UTC 2016

On 18/05/16 12:26, Daryl via Nottingham wrote:
> http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-27407502
>
> Sort of relevant. How George RR Martin still uses DOS for word
> processing as there are fewer distractions.
>
> (Says me, distracted by the BBC News site when I have a deadline to
> produce some work by Friday and I'm already behind...)

OK, this is a good excuse for an anti-WYSIWYG rant! :-)

Similarly so for gaining vastly greater productivity using LaTeX to do
all the *formatting* for you. I've used that myself from DOS, and then
from Linux terminals, with a DVI viewer to check the final result before
committing to some very expensive physical printing.

All this WYSIWYG is even less applicable in "word processor" software
than possibly all other aspects of GUIs and it is hellish distracting
from being able to focus purely on _what it is_ you are trying to say.

You should be engrossed in your message and the efficient /use/ of words
rather than becoming lost in the beauty of the artwork of the laser-cut
letters of your writing. Or, if you like pretty looking letters and have
the belief that if printed on a colour laser printer then 'it must be
right'... Instead take up the mindlessness of the art of illumination
and the many hours lost in that artwork for a single printed character?

LaTeX is far far faster to use than a certain far too commonly used
clunky lump of distraction and frustrating inconsistency... However...
It also looks too much like programming for many people to even be able
to make a start. Or?...

And as you must notice... This email is all txt rather than the bloat
and distraction of html 'rich' formatting.

It's all in the message rather than the Marketing glossy vanity of
'look-good' distraction...

:-P

WYSIWYG: What You See Is What You Get (and is rarely applicable!)

GUI: Graphical User Interface - clicky distraction!

Art of illumination:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illuminated_manuscript

--
- ║   Martin Lomas    ║ OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7 ║