[Nottingham] [Maillist] 'Munging' the "From" mail headers on this list?

Roger Light roger at atchoo.org
Mon May 23 08:53:18 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 9:01 AM, Jason Irwin via Nottingham
<nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:

> Having lived with the new system for a while, it's really annoying to not
> have the sender's name in the "From" part of the email listing.
> Checking other lists, people's email addresses are in the clear.
>
> Majority rules and all that, but my vote is we go back to using people's
> email addresses again. Most of us seem to have them appearing in the
> "Reply-to" section anyhoo.
>
> If the consensus is to hide email addresses, is there anyway the list can be
> configure to retain the sender's name? e.g. we get "From: F. Bar via Notts
> GNU/Linux Users Group" or something.

I'm scratching my head a bit here. It seems to work for me in exactly
the way you are asking.

The headers for your message were:

From: Jason Irwin via Nottingham <nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk>
 Notts GNU/Linux Users Group <nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk>

The message is displayed as being from "Jason Irwin via Nottingham" in
both gmail and mutt. When I try to reply, the message is addressed to
both you and the list as expected from the reply-to header.

Nothing appears to have been lost from the pre-dkim changes.

Let's stick with the defaults, they seem to have been well chosen.

Cheers,

Roger