[Nottingham] Looking for a new Linux laptop

Luke contact at lukespear.co.uk
Tue May 24 13:12:56 UTC 2016

> Strangely enough... I've been using an Android 'ePad' for some long time
> now, mainly for reading documents and web surfing...
> That device with a small bluetooth keyboard (2/3rds size) works very well.

Yes, that's the alternative, but I couldn't 'work' work on it,
unfortunately, unless I found a better solution for the few pieces of
Win software I need.

> My experience of the 2-in-1 form-factor is that the hinges and docking
> connectors are far too vulnerable and fragile for normal use...

That's a concern - will check reviews carefully! Which have you tried?
The Yoga's new ones look pretty solid, made of some kind of braided
metallic finish? Then we're back to the Lenovo question, though.

> OK... So how easy is it to put full blown Linux freedom onto an Android
> tablet?

Had a play with GNU Root but it wasn't exactly a 'native' experience.
Better than nothing, but connecting via VNC isn't optimal.

> Is this where we need a modern-day install fest to see how many mobile
> devices we can subvert?? :-)

Heh, might be getting that way!

> Ubuntu convergence anyone??? ;-)

I have a Ubuntu phone, and that was my big hope, but alas, I'm still
waiting for that particular update :) There is some minor functionality
of the sort already in place, but nothing I could work with yet. All in
good time, eh?