[Nottingham] Struggling with some basic Apache config

J jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 13:51:17 UTC 2017

Oh for flip's sake. Why is it after you ask a question you suddenly find
the answer?

I had been thinking about things slightly wrong, seems a VirtualHost more
applies to a domain or a sub-domian (or IP or...). e.g. "domain.tld" or
"sub.domain.tld". That right?
If I want to set domain-wide (not server) defaults, I just need to do it in
"<Directory /var/www>" within the relevant VirtualHost (the HTTPS one in my
case).
To override a setting, just do it it "<Directory
/var/www/applicaiton-name>".

Great, so I /think/ I can do what I want within a single config file.

Final question - would there be a way to split each application out into
its own config file even though they are all served by the same virtual
host?
Just thinking that would make it easy to disable an application, or am I
still thinking about things wrong?

Still like to know if global, server defaults would be possible.

J.