[Nottingham] [WALK] 4th March - Around Miller's Dale Attempt #2

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 15:49:18 UTC 2017

This first attempt at this got interesting. We happened across a recent
crash, stopped to render assistance and then waited 2 hours for the
emergency services to arrive. Not their fault, turned out the original
directions were incorrect although by all accounts the operator was a
bit clueless with zero local knowledge. Luckily no one was seriously
hurt, just shaken. If you want to see the result of firing your nice,
shiny 4x4 into a field; you can go here:
https://irrwitz.com/owncloud/s/hPbhJK3c97chRBT?path=%2FWhy%20it%20didn%27t%20happen

After leaving the scene, we stopped in the Royal Oak for some hot
drinks, and did a short walk along the Manifold Way in the snow. The Oak
were great, even reserving a table by the fire for us! Great food too.
http://www.peakpub.co.uk/

Next month we're going try this again an hopefully without the added
excitement, no other details have changed.

Starting off from just outside Tideswell  and heading down to the banks
of the River Wye, haning a hard left at Cressbrook Mill up into the
Tansley Dale and over towards Tideswell again. At that point we can
either head back towards the cars or add in an extension (or something
that approximates it) through Miller's Dale (an extra ~8km).

I've not had a chance to check on food/drink yet, but we are passing
through a few villages and there is bound to be some pub/cafe we can
grab something it. Decide on the day!

Going to allow about 5 hours for the main walk (the actual walk is a 3.5
hours) for stops, general faffing around and a couple of more hours for
getting there/back. So a 1000 start from home, should see you back there
around 1600-1700.

Bring sturdy boots, decent socks, waterproofs, snacks etc. Bad weather
will halt the walk, a wee bit of rain/wind won't.

Please let me know if you'd like to join and if you're a driver or need
transport.

What: Around Miller's Dale
Distance: 11.3km (7 miles) possible extension
Ascent/Gradient: Medium - 365m (1,200ft)
Difficulty: Medium
Time: 3.5 hours
Deadtree: AA "50 Walks in the Peak District", walk 24 "Around Miller's
Dale", page 87. ISBN: 978-0-7524-4639-4
Overview and GPX: https://irrwitz.com/owncloud/s/JaPMtNoLf9IyHKE
When: March 4th 2017 starting walk @ 1000
Meet-up #1: Our place in Beeston to leave @ 0830 (contact me off-list
for address etc)
Meet-up #2: Car Park on B6049 (http://osm.org/go/eu3ao4K5?layers=H&m=) @
0930
--
║ Jason Irwin ║ OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xD0C592B1 ║