[Nottingham] Fwd: Neutralize ME firmware

VM vadim+NLUG at mankevich.co.uk
Tue Jan 10 14:14:49 UTC 2017

On 10 January 2017 13:55:22 GMT+00:00, Martin via Nottingham <nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:
>Vadim,
>
>Thanks for that. Interesting...
>
>And as always, more time is needed in the day.
>
>But then again... Why are we having to waste our time 'working around'
>proprietary 'coercive silliness'...
>

>More time needed!
>
>Cheers,
>Martin
>

>On 10/01/17 10:47, VM via Nottingham wrote:
>>

>> Finally there's hope for those who'd like more power over their own
>PC than Intel currently has.
>>

>http://hardenedlinux.org/firmware/2016/11/17/neutralize_ME_firmware_on_sandybridge_and_ivybridge.html
>>

>> When Martin flashes Libreboot (at last) I might borrow the
>programming clip. Or was it not necessary for that Chromebook?

After digging deeper I found out that more modern systems may implement boot guard that checks whether ME functions properly. If it doesn't the PC won't boot. That's what I call coercion! Only Intel-authorised backdoors allowed!
--
vadim at mankevich.co.uk PGP key fingerprint
0xC046022A3A91455AF0C9BB2404BF882B1905C772