[Nottingham] [Walk] 21st Jan - Thor's Cave and Beeston Tor

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 14:12:37 UTC 2017

No, not that Beeston.

 From Wetton (near Ashbourne), crossing a limestone plateau to Thor's
Cave and then a steep descent to an old railway track alongside the
River Manifold. Across some stepping stones near the dramatic face of
Beeston Tor and then climbing back to the plateau to provide some
pleasant views on the walk back to Wetton.

A Neolithic skeleton, arrowheads etc have been found in Thor's cave and
from the mouth the is a view north along the Manifold Valley.

All in all, should be a jolly gambol.

I've done my best to create a .gpx but some parts may not be 100%
accurate (we'll follow the book) and unfortunately I'm missing elevation
data (anyone able to point me in the direction of files for QMapShack,
or ones I can convert to VRT using gdalbuildvrt?).
Guide does say "Considerable ascent involved", don't say I didn't warn you!

For eats there's the (boot & dog friendly) Royal Oak in Wetton
http://www.royaloakwetton.co.uk/
Should be perfect for after the walk.

Going to allow about 5 hours for the walk (the actual walk is a 3.5
hours) for stops, general faffing around and a couple of more hours for
getting there/back. So a 0800 start from home, should see you back there
around 1500-1600.

Bring sturdy boots, decent socks, waterproofs, snacks etc. Bad weather
will halt the walk, a wee bit of rain/wind won't.

Please let me know if you'd like to join and if you're a driver or need
transport.

What: Thor's Cave and Beeston Tor
Distance: 5.6km (3.5 miles)
Ascent/Gradient: Steep ascent/descent
Difficulty: Medium
Time: 3.5 hours
Deadtree: Jarrold "Jarrold Short Walks, the Peak District", walk 15
"Thor's Cave and Beeston Tor", page 48.
ISBN: 978-0-7117-4994-8
Overview and GPX: https://irrwitz.com/owncloud/s/WUJz0mJvjcLlS5k
Suggested GNU/Linux application: QMapShack -
https://bitbucket.org/maproom/qmapshack/wiki/Home
Suggested Android App: OSMAnd (from F-Droid or Google Play)
When: January 21st 2017 starting walk @ 0930
Meet-up #1: Our place in Beeston to leave @ 0800 (contact me off-list
for address etc)
Meet-up #2: Wetton village car park
(http://osm.org/go/eu3KBmV5t?layers=H&m=&node=29346368) @ 0900

--
║ Jason Irwin ║ OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xD0C592B1 ║