[Nottingham] [Walk] 17th June - Erewash (and the rest) also, BBQ!

J jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 21:01:59 UTC 2017

Something a bit different this month as I'd like to do a longer walk and
that means eliminating the driving. So this month we will start from
Beeston, walk into Trowell, down to Stapleford and back to Beeston. This
will mostly be following canal paths (i.e. flat) and cutting through the
odd wood (not so flat). The main idea is to keep away from the roads and
pretend we are on some kind of epic adventure.

There are places to grab refreshments along the way, but with the BBQ
looming over me I am going to recommend a packed lunch. It is not my
intention to sit down for a big meal, but I won't object to a group splash
'n dash.

That brings me to, the BBQ! After such an perilous quest, it seems only
fitting to feast heartily upon our glorious return. I hope to get the coals
going around 1600-1700 so we can eat 1800-1900. If you don't fancy the
walk, please feel more than welcome to come to the BBQ; the more the
merrier! (Contact me off-list for mobile number & address if you don't have
it).

For the BBQ, please bring whatever you would like
incinerated...err...cooked. We can keep things cool in the fridge. Walkers
can also drop fresh clothes or other items they don't want to lug around.

This is an easy walk, but it is LONG. For that reason I am rating it medium
overall.
Bad weather will shorten the walk, a wee bit of rain/wind won't.

Please let me know if you'd like to join either the walk, BBQ or both.

What: Erewash, taking in parts of Beeston, Trowel, Stapleford etc
Distance: 20km (12.5 miles)
Ascent/Gradient: Medium/Hard - 230m (756ft)
Difficulty: Medium (endurance)
Time: 5 hours (assuming 4km/h pace, plus time for short stops)
Deadtree: N/A
Overview and GPX: https://irrwitz.com/owncloud/index.php/s/tAUwOwFFYc8OCDk
<https://irrwitz.com/owncloud/index.php/s/aQvKctmFsYhlu8q>
When: May 17th June 2017 starting walk @ 0930
Meet-up: Cator Lane Rec Ground (http://osm.org/go/eu8SuvGo--?m=) @ 0930
GPS/Driving Advice: M1 to A38 then A615 and on to the A6 from the North.