[Nottingham] FLOSS ebook readers?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Aug 2 13:16:29 UTC 2018

Fay,

On 01/08/18 16:50, Fay Knight via Nottingham wrote:
> I had one of those old Nook ST readers because it was possible to root
> them and install a separate launcher on them, but tbh I never really got
> on with it.
>
> It seemed like a good idea when I had a long commute every day and I
> liked the idea of a more comfortable reading screen, but in reality it
> wasn't that comfortable to read from.

Similarly so for my first impressions also.

They may be perfectly fine for reading a big stack of novels. Definitely
worthwhile if to avoid luggage charges if flying off for a holiday of
reading in the exotic sun!

However, my view is they look painful for navigating and reading
technical books/manuals.

> If anyone manages to build a good e-reader from a raspberry pi I will
> definitely be interested.

Already widely done but only for rather small displays. The larger
displays are silly expensive still :-(

Hope to see you along soon!

(The following two socials are near railway stations ;-) :-) )