[Nottingham] SSH, port-forward and X-forwarding magic

J jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Thu May 10 10:10:39 UTC 2018

I've had to head north to deal with an emergency (£13 smoke alarm, urgh)
and am working remote via the magic of SSH port-forwarding which lets me
have access to want I need (don't panic, the SSH server is certificate-only
and has fail2ban cranked to "rabid" watching the logs).

To get RDP, I use something like this:
    ssh -L 1234:remote-box:3389 -p proxy-port user at proxy-address
And then:
   rdp://user@localhost:1234

That works rather nicely, but trying to use a VM on the remote box is a
bit....yuck as it needs full screen repaints. The VM is Linux, so I was
trying to X-Forward with:
    ssh -L 5678:remote-vm:22 -p proxy-port user at proxy-address
Then:
   ssh -X p- 5678 remote-user at localhost ~/some/program
(I tried -Y too, no difference)

This /almost/ works. I get the windows title and basic controls running,
but then actual window never seems to fully paint. Jury-rigged local tests
seem fine in similar configuration.

Have I missed something or is X-Forwarding simply too heavyweight for this
scenario?
I might try forwarding VNC in that case.

J.