[Nottingham] SSH, port-forward and X-forwarding magic

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu May 10 11:06:55 UTC 2018

Jason,

Further thought:

On 10/05/18 11:52, Martin via Nottingham wrote:
> On 10/05/18 11:10, J via Nottingham wrote:

>> and am working remote via the magic of SSH port-forwarding which lets me
>> have access to want I need (don't panic, the SSH server is
>> certificate-only and has fail2ban cranked to "rabid" watching the logs).
>>
>> To get RDP, I use something like this:
>>     ssh -L 1234:remote-box:3389 -p proxy-port user at proxy-address
>> And then:
>>    rdp://user@localhost:1234
>>
>> That works rather nicely, but trying to use a VM on the remote box is a
>> bit....yuck as it needs full screen repaints. The VM is Linux, so I was
>> trying to X-Forward with:
>>     ssh -L 5678:remote-vm:22 -p proxy-port user at proxy-address

Is not easier to ssh into a machine local to your target remote system
and then run such as freerdp from a local shell?

The graphics then get X-Forwarded for you across the ssh session. No
fancy routing, no routing tables or proxy cleverness needed...

(And no VPN to keep me happy :-P :-) )

The -C on ssh helps greatly for the X-Forwarding ;-)

Good luck!?