[Nottingham] Arch always on system freezing

Brian Pickford brian at brianpickford.co.uk
Sat Oct 27 15:30:46 UTC 2018

x= tested and ruled out
x Dust
x Failed cooling fan
x Internal/CPU overheating (including the PSU or power adapter)
x Try running Memtest86 for an hour or two...
x Any disk errors still...
x Full disk partition
1/2 x here Disk failure
I ran mprime and had a failure:
[Sat Oct 27 14:37:44 2018]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.46875, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
Self-test 640K passed!
Self-test 640K passed!
Self-test 640K passed!
Self-test 640K passed!
Self-test 640K passed!
Self-test 640K passed!
Self-test 640K passed!
[Sat Oct 27 14:45:25 2018]
Self-test 8K passed!
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.46875, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

the CPU temp climbed fro its usual 50C to 91C after 15 mins. This is quite
high, but stable. The error occurred in the first 5 mins while still under
80C
I've upped the North and South bridge voltages 2 notches along with V core
then ran the memtest, no errors after an hour running at 77C

A short SMART self-test passed without error ... I'll see if stability
improves with the slightly higher voltages

Thanks, Brian