[Nottingham] [Talk] 7:30pm *TODAY* Thursday 20/09/2018: Overdraft Fix-it/Install/Demo Evening

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Sep 24 23:07:21 UTC 2018

On 20/09/18 13:04, Martin via Nottingham wrote:
> Folks,
>
> 7:30pm *TODAY* Thursday 20/09/2018:
>

>> Getting further into bare metal and installs and continued fix-its and
>> demos, we have a #2 follow-on into the upper area of The Overdraft
>

>> *Fix-it/Install/Demo Evening*
>> =============================

We got a good welcome at The Overdraft with a good space and good beer.
'Twas a dark and wet and breezy evening yet we were soon warmed by the
beers and discussions :-)

That worked very well - we shall return!

To recap for the night:

We pioneered making data backups onto external hard drives with good
discussion for how to keep the backups safe. The 'safe' included
covering Faraday cages, EMP, lightning, physical theft, bunkers, the
pros and cons of The Cloud and encryption, and going off-site;

There was a bit of discussion for making persistent "Live"
distros/installs onto USB media:

There happens to be an excellent article comparing a 'Top 20' list of
distros in this month's Linux Format magazine (LXF242 October 2018),
including a review of Quirky 8.6 that runs entirely from RAM with
persistent storage to the USB memory stick (see LXF242 P19).

See also Distrowatch! https://distrowatch.com/

(Try for example a search for "Live media" distros via the search on
https://distrowatch.com/search.php )

We even had the chance to see the selection of flashing lights sequences
for a Raspberry Pi + Blinkt x8-RGB LEDs controlled from Python :-)

And there was various other discussions also...

(So why have multiple UK banks variously suffered news-worthy outages
with their online banking in the last week? All just a coincidence?...)

All good fun!

Next meeting is a social to the resurrected Malt Cross and to feast in
the forever excellent Cumin. Usual 7:30pm start, Thursday 04/10/2018.

All welcome,

See you at the next do!