[Nottingham] Copy without copying? (file copy deduplication)

J J jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 10:04:39 UTC 2019

I need read/write access to the new folder.
Mucking around with OverlayFS I can effectively have a "Template" folder
and then a "Working" folder (plus a couple of others for reasons) and that
works well. Except for the fact that full file copies still happen and some
of these files are big.
So the situation is definitely better, but far from ideal.

I am going to see if I can grok XFS enough to do the similar thing, but do
some block-level magics.
LVM snapshots might also do it, but not sure if they would allow for
multiple, concurrent "Working" folders and AIUI that would mean mucking
around with how the system is deployed, not something I have control over.

The other wrinkle is that this needs t be done ad hoc.
But first things first...