[Nottingham] [Misc] Breaking Youtube with Slow Mo Glitter - The Slow Mo Guys

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Apr 20 18:37:47 UTC 2020

Folks,

I've been breaking multiple things recently... (More on the other
breakage for another post...)

So... For the firefox/video breakage I tried:

Breaking Youtube with Slow Mo Glitter - The Slow Mo Guys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtYKDamqo2I

And all looks fine at the default viewing.

However, increase the settings to display the higher resolutions and my
single threaded firefox certainly can't cope - immediate freeze-frame
non-action.

Running a media player for the video, I get such as:

MPlayer 1.3.0-9.2.0 (C) 2000-2016 MPlayer Team

Playing Breaking Youtube with Slow Mo Glitter - The Slow Mo Guys - The
Slow Mo Guys-BtYKDamqo2I.mkv.

libavformat version 58.29.100 (external)
libavformat file format detected.
[lavf] stream 0: video (vp9), -vid 0
[lavf] stream 1: audio (aac), -aid 0, -alang eng
VIDEO:  [VP90]  7680x4320  0bpp  50.000 fps

           **** Your system is too SLOW to play this!  ****

... And trying VLC gives:

VLC media player 3.0.8 Vetinari (revision 3.0.8-0-gf350b6b5a7)

avcodec decoder error: more than 5 seconds of late video -> dropping
frame (computer too slow ?)

Note that the full 8k res version is a whopping 2.5GBytes of video. The
quality is stunning! (If you can see it!!)

I may try downscaling it with ffmpeg for giggle...

Enjoy?