[Nottingham] [Talk] *TODAY* 8:30pm Thursday 27/08/2020: How best to develop something new?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Aug 27 19:56:51 UTC 2020

Folks,

> *TODAY* 8:30pm (BST) Thursday 27/08/2020 (That's 7:30pm _GMT_  )
>
> https://meet.jit.si/NLUGmeet11

> *How best to develop something new* ?
> =====================================

For just one small but powerful example of the "*nix" way of doing things:

>> Unix "Do one thing and do it well"
>> https://principles.design/examples/unix-philosophy
>> http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/taoup/html/ch01s06.html
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy

>> Elon Musk and SpaceX vs NASA and Big Corporates(!)
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_Musk#SpaceX

We have a double example for just one of many ways to view, live, the
very rapid developments of SpaceX at Boca Chica, Texas. Live.

See:

(By the power of Google YouTube)

https://www.youtube.com/user/LabPadre

And choosing one of the live streams:

(For example)

Sapphire Cam SpaceX Boca Chica Launch Facility
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQJInT3-_-s

(Note: The livestream address changes every 8 hours or so.)

And your web browser should display a livestream of:

Sapphire Cam SpaceX Boca Chica Launch Facility

That webcam is a telephoto camera that is mounted at 350 ft in altitude
on top of the Sapphire Condominiums and is 5.9 miles from the Space X
facility...

Going the *nix way for viewing, there is the one-liner:

youtube-dl -o - 'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQJInT3-_-s' | ffplay
-fs -an -

Where "youtube-dl" grabs a video stream and "ffplay" displays a video
stream.

The ffplay "-fs" specifies use full screen, and "-an" specifies no audio.

The "|" is the magical 'pipe' operator that connects to the processes
together.

Now comes the clever bits...

"youtube-dl" accommodates streaming or downloading for a phenomenal list
of sites and formats.

See: https://ytdl-org.github.io/youtube-dl/supportedsites.html

And ffplay can do some clever processing trickery...

The Sapphire Cam is high and distant... So there is a lot of image
wobble due to atmospherics and the tower blowing in the wind.

(Lots of wobble as hurricane Laura blasts past...)

Hence, with the magic of a little real-time image processing...

To average out the thermals:

youtube-dl -o - 'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQJInT3-_-s' | ffplay
-fs -an -vf tmix=frames=4:weights='1 1 1 1'  -

And to additionally average out the windy wobbles:

youtube-dl -o - 'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQJInT3-_-s' | ffplay
-fs -an -vf tmix=frames=8:weights='1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1'  -

Fantastic stuff!

Would that work as well following?:

>> And if time permits such that we are on the right side of midnight:
>>
>> Poettering:
>> 'Speeding up Linux development at the expense of breaking compatibility'
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lennart_Poettering#Controversies
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PulseAudio#Adoption
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemd#Adoption

Enjoy!