[Nottingham] Linux PC - Hardware recommendations?

Vadim Mankevich vadim at mankevich.co.uk
Sun Oct 24 10:39:29 UTC 2021

            Hi Phil,If I were you I’d run Linux on the iMac :))) It appears not to have T2 chip so relatively easy for an experienced Linux user to make that happen, but it’s not what I’d recommend to a beginner. AFAIK problems with sound, WiFi and backlight could be expected.I wouldn’t go for an all-in-one because of upgrade difficulties and potential problems with controlling the screen from Linux. A mini pc with a good monitor is what I’d choose.Here are my suggestions for components that have good support on Linux:WiFi - intel, Qualcomm atheros (avoid Broadcom)CPU - AMD Ryzen APU with integrated graphicsNetwork card - intel or RealtekSound - avoid intel, their dsp needs firmware. Usually if there are no built-in mics then there is probably some simple audio card that most probably works.In general it’s best if ram, cpu and ssd can be replaced. But the most overlooked component (especially by Apple) is the cooling system. Check reviews for signs of overheating and what noises it makes when overheated.Hope this helps.—VMMake 1984 fiction again.---- On Sat, 23 Oct 2021 08:46:17 +0100  Phil Bass via Nottingham<nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote ----Hi, folks.Currently I use an Apple iMac (early 2019 model) as my main machine but I’m trying to wean myself off the Apple ecosystem. I’m thinking of replacing the Mac with a Linux machine of equivalent spec.Any recommendations for suitable hardware?
Phil Bassphil.bass at icloud.com