[Nottingham] anyone still here?

Fay Knight fay_knight at zoho.com
Thu Jan 25 15:57:04 UTC 2024

I attended an interesting talk recently about uses for AI in security: since
it excels at pattern recognition it could drive some improvements in detecting
anomalous/suspicious behaviour on networks.

However I share most peoples' concerns about plagiarism of humans' hard work
in art and writing.  Also massive concerns about the amount of data collected
and stored by these systems, people not realising they shouldn't be sharing
personal information with ChatGPT, and the flood of poor-quality content I'm
seeing lately in web articles when I'm trying to find some useful information.

And as for that AI-generated book Amazon was selling about foraging wild
mushrooms?  You just have to wonder where the human involvement was in that
whole chain of bad decisions.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/sep/01/mushroom-pickers-urged-to-avoid-foraging-books-on-amazon-that-appear-to-be-written-by-ai