[Phpwm] staff resource system

Greg Morley greg.morley at hyperreality.net
Wed Apr 5 22:03:53 BST 2006

Hi,

I'm looking for one or both of the following and was wondering whether
anyone on the mailing list has any experience of either. First some
background:

Perhaps over-simplified: staff resource system (or "person database"):
FORM: New starter (unique employee number, name, job title, line
manager, location, start date, leaving date, active)
-> SUBFORM: Computer (make, model, serial, date of issue)
-> SUBFORM: Car (make, model, registration, date of issue)
-> SUBFORM: Mobile phone (make, model, tel.number, date of issue)
-> SUBFORM: etc (could be added at a later date, e.g. keys, petty cash
float, pda, swipecard)

The basic idea is a system, preferably web-based, that allows the
management of employee resources in a fast-growing company. New starters
join, administrative staff add resources to the new starter's record,
e.g. a computer, company car, mobile phone, etc. Not all employees
receive the same package. When the employee hands in their notice, this
system provides a quick way to check what company property needs to be
accounted for. Ideally, other reports/queries could be run off the
underlying database, e.g. how many staff in the northwest have company
cars and laptops? How many company cars are diesels? What is the
regional spread of desktop computers?
Note: there is an expensive HR system in place, which unfortunately does
not manage this sort of "resource" data.

What I'm trying to find (one or both of the following):
1. an existing open source system along the above lines which is open to
public contribution or has an active community;
2. an open source database design tool (years ago I used a handy little
closed-source Sybase tool called Data Architect, pretty neat).

Any suggestions?

I'd be most interested in a LAMP (php, not perl) solution. The company
is largely on a Domino/Notes platform and this could be an opportunity
to modernise and move away to a more flexible and open set of solutions,
not to mention opening up new skills opportunities for the rest of the
IT team. My basic LAMP skills extend to small Linux desktop rollouts and
sysadmin, plus some custom implementations of Mambo/Joomla, Wordpress,
SugarCRM and other projects of that nature.

No offence to any Notes afficionado's out there!

Kind regards,
Greg.