[Phpwm] virtual hosts in apache

Dave Brotherstone davegb at pobox.com
Wed Apr 26 21:11:04 BST 2006

On 26/04/06, sukh virdee <sukh_virdee at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I've set up a virtual host on my dedicated server with a dummy domain
> name.
> I only have one IP address for the server.
>
> How can I access webpages that i have created for the virtual host through
> my browser. I've heard that when using windows and IE you can make an
> addition to  the host file and then you can access the dummy site through
> the IP address...?

In the httpd.conf (assuming it's called that in your distro), at the bottom
put (it's probably there, commented out)
- note: change 192.168.10.1 to your IP address.

NameVirtualHost 192.168.10.1

<VirtualHost 192.168.10.1>
  ServerName someserver.yourdomain.com
  DocumentRoot /www/someserver_site
  DirectoryIndex index.htm
  ErrorLog logs/someserver_errorlog
  CustomLog logs/someserver_accesslog combined
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 192.168.10.1>
  ServerName alternative.yourdomain.com
  DocumentRoot /www/alternative_site
  DirectoryIndex index.htm
  ErrorLog logs/alternative_errorlog
  CustomLog logs/alternative_accesslog combined
</VirtualHost>

The "ServerName" directives inform Apache what to look for in the Host
header (passed by pretty much all browsers).  If you want alternatives for
the same site, use "ServerAlias" and then the full host name.

Hope that helps,

Dave.