[Phpwm] instantiate word for windows

alan dunn alan at dunns.co.uk
Thu Aug 24 09:38:27 BST 2006

Perhaps I can prompt a wider debate.

It seems to me that the area in which php is weakest is printed output.
I take the point that it is a server side language, so we don't have
direct control over what happens at the browser.

But I, and I am sure many of you, need solutions in a commercial
environment - and that means that almost every action results in the
need for a printed page - be it an invoice document, delivery note,
monthly sales report etc. etc. The 'paperless office' doesn't work here.
You _have_ to issue an invoice document - and for business efficiency it
needs to be printed there and then on a printer under the sales counter
that the member of staff is standing at! It seems to me that outputting
a web page to the printer is at best a clumsy solution - reference the
question I raised a couple of months ago about  output overrunning the
bottom of a page where there are more lines on screen than a page can
handle.

To generate nicely formatted complex monthly summaries I turn to Access
to read our Postgres db and use its reporting facilities with all the
font control spacing, formatting etc it offers - surely I don't have to
resort to that as a solution!

Picking up Phil's specific question - we are running Linux php and no
the output does not have to be Word - Word's mail merge provided a tool
to do a job. I need a pile of letters with variable data and image
objects such as a signature on there.

I will have a look at the RTF options but I would be very interested in
comments on this broader topic.

alan dunn