[Phpwm] CVS or Subversion?

sparkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Fri Feb 24 11:07:37 GMT 2006

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 16:25:24 -0000
"Peter Graham" <Peter.Graham at tcat.ac.uk> wrote:

> "The main advantage of CVS is that they're plugins for just about
> everything to interface with it, which makes life less hassle some"

your friend is living in the 90's ;-)

SVN added the features needed by CVS (such as renaming files) and
wrapped it all in an interface that is so similar to CVS existing users
can migrate with little trouble.

I currently don't use any plugins for either CVS or SVN so I can't
comment on the lack but certainly on the command line they are so
similar porting any plugin should be a trivial matter.  you can
probably use a script on the command line to use a CVS plugin with SVN
servers.

if the user already understands CVS or you are working alone I would
promote SVN over any other versioning system every time but if you are
new to version control or running a large team I would say bazaar-ng is
probably a better solution.  It's decentralised and really promotes
open development any new open source projects should certainly consider
it.

personally I use SVN everyday and CVS about once a month.  Many major
projects have been moving from CVS to SVN over the last 5 years and a
few are starting to move to bazaar and other arch systems now.

sparkes

--
More uninformed crap on my blog http://sp.arkes.co.uk
If you were plowing a field, which would you rather use? Two strong