[Phpwm] 'Sequencing' Question

Phil Beynon phil at infolinkelectronics.co.uk
Thu Nov 2 10:14:16 GMT 2006

> Forgive the peculiar title :)
> In an admin back-end, where the user can add pages, or menu items etc the
> need to order entries becomes apparent. Ie, the user needs to decide what
> order the menu items will be in the list.
>
> I'd be interested to see if anyone else has found an intuitive
> way of doing
> this. The only way I can think of is a field to enter a 'sequence
> number',
> but that is prone to duplication by the user, not to mention
> being a pain in
> the bum.

Chris,
forget sequence numbers that simply won't work as it might be a couple of
weeks till they add something to the site, plus if they want to re-order
things it would be onerous for the user to have to go through potentially
thousands of entries.

Display to the user a page which contains the description of the fields you
want to order in a way the user can understand and then display up and down
arrows next to each, obviously the first and last entries only have one
arrow.
Each image for the up and down arrow is actually a seperate form submission
button which triggers a database write and page refresh.
Therefore as they click on something it updates the position in the database
then redoes the page to reflect this.
This does work quickly and perfectly and I already have it fully implemented
in my CMS system.