[Phpwm] installing ZIP functions

Darren Beale public.darren.beale at siftware.co.uk
Tue Oct 17 10:39:23 BST 2006

> A word of advice would be take the time to learn how to
> compile PHP and it's
> associated extensions otherwise you will always be at the mercy of a
> packager or distro. It's not that complicated to be honest.

+1

Whilst I would say that for most server software using maintained packages
is A Good Thing because of the ease of upgrading (read: security patches)
however I always run with a self compiled PHP and MySQL for the flexibility
that it gives me.

Get yourself a copy of the free VMWare server, do a server install that
approximately mirrors your production environment and then play around with
it until you're confident you know how to compile. It really isn't that hard
and remember that as long as you're only getting compile errors then you're
not 'breaking' anything as you've not actually installed it yet.

If it helps, some time ago I created a for-my-own-benefit mini how-to on
creating a dev server. It's debian-centric but might help you out in a few
places:
http://bealers.com/how-to/creating-a-php-development-server/

Darren Beale

Siftware