[Phpwm] cakePHP vs Zend Framework vs CodeIgniter

Rob Allen rob at akrabat.com
Fri Oct 20 20:42:25 BST 2006

Disclaimer; I've only used Zend Framework and am a contributor.

Jujhar Singh wrote:

> Some of my considerations are:
> 1. Long term support - Is the framework just a fad or will it continue to be
> supported/upgraded for a while.

I expect that all three will be around for a while!

> 2. Speed, is it a shed load of php that's going to run real slow or will it
> include a nice bunch of compiled objects that will increase speed.

ZF is fast enough for me. No idea about the others.

> 3. Examples - who's using what, a good indication of the usefullness of a
> framework is how many people are using it.

Google :)

I'm using ZF for a client and it's working good. Unable to talk about it
though.

> 4. Will it work with IIS and SQL server - or will I be restricted to Apache
> and MySQL et al.  I love linux, but it's good to have your options open as
> you never know what your client will use.

ZF does. I'm running on IIS & SQL Server for client and Apache & MySQL
for testing.

> 5. Can I use Smarty with it?  I like smarty, it is good.

Yes with ZF. No idea about others. I'd guess so.

> 6. How flexible is it, can I take it to the nth Degree, or will it restrict
> me just to doing simple CRUD based applications.

ZF is very flexible. No idea about the other two.

> 7. Anything else that would swing it for me.

Try them all :)

Regards,

Rob...