[Phpwm] My New Project

Rob Allen rob at akrabat.com
Mon Oct 23 09:48:42 BST 2006

Chris Allen wrote:
> Just thought I'd babble on a bit about my new project, as its the
> largest I've embarked on so far, and I'm using the Codeigniter framework
> to ease things a little. Forgive me in advance for waffling. :)
> Its been done many times, but I'm making a flexible structure for a
> website for my own use. It consists of:
>
> Front End - Semantic XHTML with a few divs for design flexibilty.
> Back End -
> User Admin, Product Admin, Contact Admin( with mailing functionality ) &
> page content admin.
>
> This will give me the bones of a website package that I can tailor to
> suit a customers requirements. It should cover most types of site, from
> basic static to ecommerce sites.
>
> In future I may add CSS skins and editable design elements, only time
> will tell!
>
> This is because I aim to go freelance, and I need a bit of 'power on the
> hip'. My aims are to make it as expandible and future-proof as possible,
> cos I'm sick of rewriting the same stuff :)
>
> A sensible approach don't you agree?

You've just described the basics of our CMF that we use at work :) We
use it to build 90% of our sites. 10% don't fit into the limitations of
our CMF and hence we are slowly R&Ding a new CMF based on Zend Framework
that will allow us to standardise the building of a greater percentage
of our website jobs.

Personally, I think that a CMF is far more useful than a CMS as you can
far more easily tailor the system to suit the site you are building.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your experiences :)

Regards,

Rob...