[Phpwm] Re: My New Project

Phil Beynon phil at infolinkelectronics.co.uk
Wed Oct 25 16:56:25 BST 2006

> >I started playing with Code Igniter over the weekend and really like it
> >(very easy for someone who is barley familiar with PHP).  I like your
> >project and actually want to built something similar.  However, with my
> >limited skills, I figure it would be easier to see if someone
> else has done
> >something similar and work with that. So, to that end I started rummaging
> >through the forum and found some very cool stuff.  You may find them
> >helpful, so here are a few things (if you want to take a look):
> >

> Thanks Rayhan, the forum and site are building into quite a community. I
> think as far as the authentication goes I'll make it as simple as
> possible
> to start with, and get the project moving, as I stil haven't
> decided exactly
> how I want that side of things to work.
> I originally looked at user groups and explicit permissions for
> each user,
> but I think its going too complex too soon :) Its so easy to get
> bogged down
> isn't it?
>
> >The starting point for me was to develop a comprehensive add / edit /
> >delete
> >/ search / positioning module.
> >Once you have developed that then you have the underlying functionality,
> >you
> >can then add and subtract form fields as required to achieve whatever you
> >want in that particular part of the site management.
> >Once you've got that far give me a shout and we could compare notes.
>
> I think you're right Phil, It looks as though I'm going to be busy here!

If you start getting into user groups and permissions you enter a massive
area - for instance a user without delete permsission could erase a block of
text if they are allowed to edit text. The only way then around that is to
make it so there is an admin approval for everything and no changes are made
to the active visitor side of the site until approved. Foe just small
changes about the place this then becomes a pain for the admin. Plus you
need a lot more storage and teh user needs to go and edit the last page he
edited, which may or not be approved at that point so the correct page has
to be shown to them. Also you will need at that some point a multi-level
rollback system in case the admin doesnt approve the edits.

It becomes rather more interesting to write to say the least! :-)

It occured it might not be obvious what I meant by a positioning system
after I wrote that - its a page where you can alter the sorted order that
items are displayed from the database, for example in my system you have
dynamic control over a set of text links at the foot of the main
knowledgebase pages, both in the content of the link title, link address,
and the position of the link acrosss the page. This is useful to have in a
number of areas, where you might want to keep a specific topic ordered near
the top of a list. its just done by having a field which is set to say 0 by
default and only gets altered once it has explicitly been moved, that way
you dont have to reorder everything everytime you add something to the list,
the code sorts these positional values first then everything else falls into
alpha order (or whatever you set it to).