[Phpwm] Firefox

Phil Beynon phil at infolinkelectronics.co.uk
Sat Oct 28 00:03:32 BST 2006

> Phil Beynon wrote:
> > Just as a matter of interest how, with something like 1900 add ins now
> > available, are you supposed to test sites for compatibility
> with Firefox?
> > Obviously most of the addins, things like colour pickers etc,
> are not going
> > to in anyway affect functionality much - but I'd suspect that
> some of them
> > could affect the way it treats things like Javascript, where someone has
> > written and published what they consider a fix for some
> underlying issue.
> > It's bad enough making scripts and CSS work cross-platform with
> Netscape an
> > IE and their versions peculiarities without this happening, but Firefox
> > seems to be getting to the stage where it cant be ignored now!
> >

> I don't think any affect the Gecko rendering engine, do they?

I don't know. If its designed to be that open then I'd think that is a
possibility that it could alterable in some way.
If out of the 1900 add-ins only 10 allowed the possibility that something
could be different tehn thats potentially a hundred 'new' browsers that
technically should be tested against.

> It's the IE-based browsers such as AOL, Netcaptor and Maxthon that used
> to cause me trouble.

I gave up on the AOL one years ago, its a complete POS and I know for a fact
that parts of some sites I have done fail using it in certain versions. It
educates users away from AOL when things dont work for them properly, which
I see as a good thing :-)

I've never encountered the other two browsers mentioned, never noticed them
in the server logs either!